Monday, June 13, 2011

Travel Time

Tumblr_le1zupj9xd1qbcs4so1_400_large
I love to travel, that probably goes without saying. And lately I've been having the travel itch more than I ever have before! Since I'm getting ready to move and sadly have to keep working (the cats refuse to get jobs so it falls on me to provide food and shelter) I'm currently getting my travel fix in the form of internet searches. Here are the top 5 places I'm dying to jet off to, if even its in my dreams.
image of white washed houses and blue domes
Greece
Every time I see a photo of the white houses with blue roofs I get an immediate sense of calm and tranquility that I can't explain. I just imagine sitting on the beach in the sun (with lots of sunscreen and a hat of course) and not having a care in the world.
Taj Mahal
Taj Mahal
One of my professors at Oxford grew up in India (his father worked for the British government) and told me the most amazing stories of the country, people, and, of course, the Taj Mahal. While I studied the fall of the British Empire with a concentration in India with him, he would tell me week after week that I MUST see the Taj Mahal at least once in my life. According to him (and numerous websites I have come to find) the marble of the palace changes color depending on the time of day. It can go from blinding white to deep red to sapphire blue and back to pale yellow all within the course of one day. If that's not enough to enchant you, I don't know what it.
Egypt
I have been very interested (ie: slightly obsessed) with Egypt for a very, very long time. I even considered majoring in history so I could become an Egyptologist one day and explore the pyramids.  And, no surprise, the only part of the British Museum I was able to see (in 3 hours) was the Egypt wing, and I didn't even see all of that. Now I understand Egypt is not the safest place to travel to right now but trust me, when the time is right I'll be heading there. And who knows, maybe I'll discover something fantastic (or at least ride a camel)
Alaska
I have a very very dear friend who moved to Alaska last January and I have yet to see her. I really want to go and see the northern lights but there are a few problems with that. For one, there is no guarantee I'd see them in the winter and for another its freaking COLD in Alaska in the winter (like -30 degrees, no joke).  I'm not sure if I'll get up there in the winter to see her but I'm hoping to get to Alaska soon. 
Tuscany
Anyone who has seen "Under the Tuscan Sun" or "Letters to Juliet" must have fallen in love with the Italian Countryside and I am no exception. My dream vacation, above all the others on this list, is to take 2 weeks, rent a car, and just drive through Tuscany drinking wine and meeting people. And if it takes longer than 2 weeks that's okay, I'm flexible.

So how about it? Anyone else needing a vacation, even if its just an hour looking at photos online? If you could jet off tomorrow, where would you go?

2 comments:

  1. I pretty much want to go to all these places too, except Antarctica and Australia are at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! When do we go? ;-)

    ReplyDelete